On June 14, 2017, CCRA’s Government Relations Committee held a public meeting with Captain Robert Ritchie from the Philadelphia 9th Police District regarding efforts to combat crime on the “15th Street Corridor” on 15th Street from Market to Spruce Streets.
At that meeting, Captain Ritchie reported the following:
- He reassigned two (2) officers every Friday & Saturday night to the 1500 block of Latimer Street from 2:00 to 3:00 am.
- He assigned a sergeant in the area to supervise and monitor the two (2) officers.
- He has given specific instructions to the officers to ensure that everyone exiting the bars on 15th Street leave the area in a peaceful manner. Any noise issues that arise will be addressed by the police.
- He reassigned on the 4:00 pm to 12:00 am shift from Monday-Friday two (2) bicycle officers to the 15th & Locust Street area.
- He has been attempting to secure additional off-duty officers from Thursdays to Saturdays between 10:00 pm and 2:00 am. Private funding would be needed.
- The citywide Narcotics Bureau made seven (7) narcotics arrests on the 15th Street Corridor from 6/13/17 to 6/24/17.
CCRA is extremely grateful for Captain Ritchie’s extra effort to protect Center City.